Treasures of Nature (Prakriti Ka Khazana) – Dalchini
Dalchini is a small evergreen tree which is native to India, Sri Lanka, Ceylon, Indonesia and Burma. Dalchini’s aroma derives from its cinnamonaldehyde oil which is abundant in its bark. Due to its instant aroma and flavor it can enhance the taste and smell of any dish and is a very popular spice choice since olden days. The spice has numerous health benefits and is used in both Ayurvedic and Chinese folk medicine.
The spice tastes pungent, bitter and sweet at the same time and is known for its dry, hot potency, piercing, strong and sharp qualities. It is also easy to digest and balances kapha and vata doshas. Dalchini is very useful in treating diabetes, high cholesterol and improves digestion strength. The cinnamon oil also helps in curing premature ejaculation and insect bites when applied externally.
Medicinal uses of Dalchini:
- Relieves throat pain, migraine headache, rhinitis, anorexia and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Its anti-toxic properties is useful in removing the toxic contents.
- It has diuretic properties which cleanses urinary bladder, urinary retention and dysuria.
- Relieves microbial infestation in bladder, lungs and heart.
- Useful in treating painful haemorrhoids and piles.
- Used in treating worm infestation and infected wounds.
- Can cure cold, allergic rhinitis, running nose, cough and sputum.
- Relieves indigestion and regulates body metabolism.
- Used in treating delayed periods, amenorrhoea.
- It is used to increase the voice clarity as it cleanses and clears throat.
- It is an excellent medicine to lower high blood pressure due to its diuretic effects.
- Dalchini oil is used in wound healing and insect bites.
- Dalchini improves the teeth strength and help relieving bad breath problems.
- Dalchini oil along with sesame oil is used to improve blood circulation to penis, prevents premature ejaculation and promotes longer erection.
Side effects of Dalchini:
- May induce gastritis and burning sensation due to its hotness.
- It is not suitable for people with heavy periods and nasal bleeding.