Treasures of Nature (Prakriti Ka Khazana) – Gambhari
Gambhari is a fast-growing deciduous tree which is a native plant of India, Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand and China. The tree is planted in many other parts of world on experimental basis in gardens and avenues. Also grown in agricultural lands in villages, it can tolerate excessive drought and can recover faster from frost injuries.
The timber of this tree is strong and hence used in constructions, furniture and carriages. It is also used in making musical instruments and artificial limbs. The timber is lightweight, stable and durable due to which it is used in making of bentwood articles and boat building. Gambhari timber is also used in paper-making and matchwood industry.
The root and fruits of Gambhari are known for its medicinal values. It is bitter, astringent and sweet and known for its hot potency. It is heavy to digest but balances vata and pitta in the body.
Medicinal uses of Gambhari fruit:
- Useful in treating bleeding disorders, heavy periods and nasal bleeding.
- Its acts as a cardiac tonic and improves blood production.
- It improves hair strength and promotes hair growth.
- It has anti-ageing properties which causes tissue rejuvenation.
- Relieves constipation, dysuria.
- It is useful in treating chronic respiratory conditions and tuberculosis.
- It nourishes the body and increases the sperm count and quality in men.
- It quenches excessive thirst.
Medicinal uses of Gambhari leaves and root:
- Relieves tiredness, fatigue, delusion and dizziness.
- Relieves burning sensation, pain and useful in treating fever.
- It is a very good digestive and carminative.
- The paste made from its leaves applied on forehead reduces the headache.
Medicinal uses of Gambhari flowers:
- It has absorbent properties which is useful in treating diarrhoea.
- Useful in treating bleeding disorders and heavy menstrual bleeding.
- It acts as astringent and coolant.