Gorukhmundi (Sphaeranthus indicus)
Treasures of Nature (Prakriti Ka Khazana) – Gorukhmundi
Gorukhmundi (Latinname - Sphaeranthus indicus), is a herb which is commonly found throughout India, Africa, Australia and Sri Lanka. This aromatic herb is usually found in unused and dry paddy fields mainly in summer. The plant is used in many of Ayurvedic and Unani medicines and is used to treat diseases like mental illness, epilepsy, hemicrania, leprosy, jaundice, diabetes, fever, cough, hernia, haemorrhoids, gastropathy, dyspepsia and skin diseases. It is usually referred to treat extra growth in the body.
Gorukhmundi is bitter, astringent, pungent, light to digest, dry, and has hot potency. The whole plant parts be it flowers, stem, roots are used in making medicines and even home remedies.
Properties of Gorukhmundi:
Therapeutic uses of Gorukhmundi:
- The herb is known for its anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties which helps relive inflammation
- With its analgesic properties, its paste helps in relieving migraine headache.
- It acts as a nerve tonic and is very useful in treating lethargy, epilepsy, seizures and other disorders related to vata doshas.
- The herb acts as an appetizer, digestive and hepatic stimulant.
- The herb is useful in conditions like loss of appetite, spleen enlargement, internal piles, internal worms and jaundice.
- It is also used in treating cardiac debility, lymphadenitis, gout, erysipelas and edema.
- The herb is an excellent medicine to treat cough, cold, chronic bronchitis, asthma and other respiratory disorders.
- The oil made from the roots of Gorukhmundi has aphrodisiac properties.
- The herb is useful in dysuria, diabetes and skin disorders.
- Unani medicine uses this herb to treat sore eyes, scalding of urine, gleet, biliousness, boils, scabies and ringworm in the waist.
- In Ayurveda, the whole plant is used in treating pain in the uterus and vagina, insanity, tuberculosis, pain in the rectum, looseness of breasts, dysentery, vomiting and urinary discharges.