Hapusha (Juniperus Communis)
Treasures of Nature (Prakriti Ka Khazana) – Hapusha
Hapusha (Latin name - JUNIPERUS COMMUNIS), is a woody plant which grows in cool and temperate climate throughout the northern hemisphere. It is found in Artic south mountains, North America, Europe and Asia. This shrub is extensively cultivated for horticulture purposes and is grown as an evergreen ornamental plant in gardens. The lumber from this plant is used in making crafts and decorative items. The lumber is known for its pleasant aroma, decorative natural formation of wood, growth rings and other physical properties. Hapusha shrub is a low maintenance plant and is readily adaptable to climatic conditions. There are numerous and interesting myths, legends or stories associated with this shrub.
The timber of this tree is strong and hence used in constructions, furniture and carriages. It is also used in making musical instruments and artificial limbs. The timber is lightweight, stable and durable due to which it is used in making of bentwood articles and boat building. Gambhari timber is also used in paper-making and matchwood industry.
The root and fruits of Gambhari are known for its medicinal values. It is bitter, astringent and sweet and known for its hot potency. It is heavy to digest but balances vata and pitta in the body.
Properties of Hapusha:
- Uterine Stimulant
Medicinal uses of Hapusha:
- The berries of Hapusha are used to treat cough, constipation, shortness in breath, pains in the belly, convulsions and cramps and to induce speed in delivery.
- Hapusha strengthens the brain muscles, improves the eye sight and strengthens the libs.
- It can kill intestinal worms in children, it acts as a remedy for hemorrhoids.
- Good medicine to remove kidney and urinary stones and improve appetite.
- The fruit of Hapusha is known to cure dropsy in livestock.
- They act as an excellent antiseptic to cure cystitis.
- The berries of Hapusha improves and stimulates the appetite which makes it as a favorite aromatic ingredient in dishes.
- Hapusha is used in treating chronic arthritis, gout and rheumatic conditions.
- Hapusha is used to stimulate the menstruation and increase the menstrual flow.
- Used in treating viral infections and fever.
- The oil of Hapusha acts as a very good carminative and can relieve indigestion and flatulence.
- Used in veterinary medicines to treat the exposed wounds and irritation caused by flies.
- The spirit made from Hapusha is used as a stimulating diuretic in cardiac as well as hepatic dropsy.