Kaunch (Mucuna pruriens)
Treasures of Nature (Prakriti Ka Khazana) – Kaunch
Kaunch (Latinname - Mucuna pruriens), is a tropical legume which is a native plant for tropical Asia and African countries. It is naturally found and also cultivated in these regions. The plant produces extreme itchiness when it comes in contact with the skin especially the seeds and young foliage. It is known for its agricultural, horticultural and medicinal properties. This legume is known for its extensive health benefits which are used from aphrodisiac medicines to neurological medicines. The extract from the plant called L-dopa is an effective medicine to treat Parkinson’s disease. Kaunch is extensively used to treat sexual disorders.
Kaunch is heavy to digest, unctuous, oily, tastes sweet and bitter at the same time and has hot potency. This balances all the three doshas i.e. kapha, vata and pitta. The seed, root and pod hair of this plant are used in medicinal purposes.
Medicinal uses of Kaunch:
- L-dopa extracted from the plant can treat Parkinson’s disease.
- Due to its aphrodisiac properties, it can increase the libido; treat impotency issues and erectile dysfunction in men.
- It can stimulate the growth of anabolic/antispasmodic hormone.
- It is used to lower the blood sugar levels and high blood pressure.
- It acts as a urine stimulant, reduces the fever and cough.
- It is used to treat neurological disorders which calms the nerves and reduces the pain.
- It aids to lower the cholesterol levels in the body and regulate metabolism.
- It acts as a menstrual stimulant.
- It reduces bloating and flatulence and aids digestion.
- It is also a CNS stimulant.
- It increases the blood circulation to genitals and releases the bound up testosterone hormone in male.
- It strengthens the sexual glands, increases the stamina and sex drive.
- It promotes healthy production of sex hormones.