Krishna jeerak (Carum carvi)
Treasures of Nature (Prakriti Ka Khazana) – Krishna jeerak
Krishna jeerak (Latinname - Carum carvi), which is famous for its aromatic properties is cultivated in Middle East countries for centuries. The seeds and fruits are used for its medicinal and aromatic properties. The oil extracted from seeds can cure dyspeptic problems like the mild spasms of GI tract, bloating and flatulence. The seed also has the properties to cure chronic recurrent fevers. The seeds are used extensively in post-partum care for new mothers. It has great medicinal properties with almost NO side effects.
The seeds are light to digest, dry and taste pungent. The herb is known for its hot potency.
Medicinal uses of Krishna jeerak:
- The seeds improve digestion strength and is carminative.
- It has absorbent properties and can treat diarrhea and dysentery.
- This is a natural aphrodisiac which improves strength and immunity.
- The decoction made from seeds are administered to get relief from fever and increase the appetite.
- It tones the liver there by stimulating bile juice secretions during fever and also improves taste buds.
- Used in treating bloating, flatulence, abdominal pain due to its carminative properties.
- It can relieve nausea and vomiting.
- Traditionally, the decoction made from the seeds is used to induce labor and ease the labor pain. It is believed that it reduces the time of labor by progressing it faster.
- Use of Krishna Jeeraka post-delivery is also is practice in Ayurvedic medicine. The decoction made from seeds are administered orally to the mother from 2nd to 10th day of delivery. This is believed to fight the infections post-delivery and to strengthen the body.
- This seed oil improves the body skin tone, treats acne, scar, and dark spots and also acts as moisturizer.
- It promotes lustrous hair growth.