Kulanjan (Alpinia Galanga)
Treasures of Nature (Prakriti Ka Khazana) – Kulanjan
Kulanjan (Alpinia Galanga) - is commonly referred to as Greater Galangal in English. It appears to be a member of rhizome family. It is used in Thai cuisine. Tuberous root of kulanjan is used to treat digestive and respiratory ailments. In southern India, kulanjan is known as Rasna.
The name ‘galangal’ is said to be derived from a Chinese word meaning ginger. The tuber is known to possess numerous medicinal & health benefits. And it is used by a lot of healthcare professionals.
Medicinal properties of Kulanjan:
- Anti- HIV
Medicinal uses of Kulanjan:
The dried rhizome of kulanjan is pulverized to obtain the powder which is used extensively for several medicinal purposes. Given below are a few remedies to treat several common ailments.
- Phlegm, chest congestion, cough, asthma, and other respiratory ailments: Kulanjan has expectorant, antioxidant, and antimicrobial properties. Being hot in potency, it reduces cough.
- Throat irritation and bad breath: Ayurveda recommends to use this herb for oral and voice problems.
- Fever, lung congestion, flu, nausea: This remedy needs powdered kulanjan powder and misri. Mix these two ingredients in equal amount and talk half a teaspoon with milk or hot water.
- Kulanjan contains excellent anti-inflammatory properties and hence it is used in the treatment of arthritis & rheumatoid arthritis.
- It helps relieve discomfort that is caused due to ulcers and inflammation of the abdomen.
- Kulanjan also improves blood circulation in the body.