Safed Jeera (Cuminum cyminum Linn)
Treasures of Nature (Prakriti Ka Khazana) – Safed Jeera
Safed Jeera is a flowering plant which is native to India and spreads until East Mediterranean region. The seeds of Safed Jeera are dried and used in a variety of cuisines all over the world in both whole and ground form especially in South-Asian cuisines. The spice is known to mankind since early civilizations like Egyptian, Roman and Indus valley civilization. The spice has a unique flavor, taste and aroma and excellent medicinal value.
The plant is cultivated in China, India, Uzbekistan, America, Tajikistan, Iran, Turkey, Egypt, Syria, Morocco, Mexico, Chile and other countries. The plant is drought tolerant and can grow in tropical or sub-tropical regions. The name Jeeraka in Sanskrit means that one which digests and hence used in medicines to treat digestive tract disorders. Safed Jeera is light to digest, dry, pungent in taste and has hot potency. It increases pitta in the body and balances kapha and vata doshas.
Benefits of Safed Jeera:
- Safed Jeera improves taste and digestion, strength.
- The spice is extensively used in postpartum care of the mother as it cleanses and detoxifies the uterus.
- It is a good absorbent which is very useful in treating diarrhea and malabsorption syndrome.
- It is a very good carminative, which treats bloating, gastritis, gaseous distension of the abdomen and other abdominal pain.
- The spice is useful in treating fever, which improves body strength and immunity.
- Safed Jeera is a natural aphrodisiac which treats fertility related problems in men.
- The spice improves intelligence, improves the vision and has positive effects on the eyes.
- The spice is used in treating the worm infestation, nausea and vomiting symptoms.
- Used in treating abdominal tumor, dysentery, diarrhea and other digestive tract diseases.
- The decoction made from Safed Jeera is given during labor to increase the intensity of contractions, and to speed up the labor.
- Chronic respiratory disorders are treated using Safed Jeera.
- Also used in treating skin diseases.