Tulsi (Ocimum tenuiflorum)
Treasures of Nature (Prakriti Ka Khazana) – Tulsi
Tulsi a native plant of India, which is considered to be very sacred according to Hindu mythology has great spiritual significance. The plant is widespread and cultivated across Southeast Asia in tropical regions. It is a wonder herb which has amazing spiritual, medicinal and cosmetic values which is revered as an elixir of life.
There are two varieties of Tulsi – Green leaved (Sri Tulasi) and purple leaved (Krishna Tulasi). The herb has extensive mentions about its medicinal values in Ayurvedic texts and is known for its diverse healing properties. It can balance the different processes in the body and is a very good stress buster. The plant has a strong aroma and astringent taste which promotes longevity of life. The herb can be used in numerous forms like herbal tea, dried powder, fresh leaf, oil extract etc.
Properties of Tulsi:
Medicinal values of Tulsi:
- Tulsi has the potential to cure any kinds of fever, be it malarial, recurrent or chronic fevers.
- Best medicine for common cold and flu.
- Tulsi decoction is used for gargling which instantly relieves sore throat and pain.
- Tulsi paste applied to forehead gives an early relief to the headache and provides a cooling effect by relieving stress and make you relaxed.
- The sore eye problem can be treated with Tulsi.
- Many dental problems like gum swelling, tooth pain and bad breath can be treated with Tulsi.
- Numerous skin problems like acne, allergy, boils and blisters can be treated using Tulsi.
- Honey and Tulsi leaf juice is used in treating kidney stones and urinary tract infections.
- It is an excellent anti-stress agent which can reduce the mental stress, anxiety and tensions if consumed every day.
- Tulsi has powerful anti-oxidants which acts a good cardiac tonic by regulating the blood pressure and lowering the cholesterol levels.
- It also has anti-carcinogenic and anti –oxidant properties which helps in encountering oral cancer and progression of breast cancer.