Natural and Ayurvedic Remedies For Insomnia
If you are getting good quality and adequate sleep at night, it keeps you energetic and enthusiastic all day long. Modern hectic lifestyle often plays spoilsport by giving you sleepless nights full of stress and anxiety. Nevertheless, you can take advantage of natural homemade remedies to sleep better.
For instance, drinking a nice chamomile tea or a glass of warm honey glazed milk can help you get rid of insomnia. Milk contains amino acid tryptophan that acts as a great natural sedative to induce sleep. Ayurveda is a traditional science that offers various effective and long-lasting solutions for your sleep deprived state. This ancient and time tested scientific approach helps to balance your irregular sleep cycles by offering natural and organic treatment for insomnia.
Some interesting homemade Ayurvedic and Natural Remedies for Insomnia are as follows:
- Hot bubble bath – A nice warm bath is one of the best remedies for curing insomnia. According to a recent study in a reputed journal, women who took a hot bubble bath just before going to bed got quality sleep at night.
- Drink passionflower tea – This is one of the best herbal remedies for insomnia. Passion flower is a tropical herb that can improve your sleep quality, according to a university publication. Drinking a cup of passionflower or chamomile tea can have a soothing effect on the nerves and help you sleep faster.
- Cherry juice – Just half a cup tart cherry juice can make you sleepy. It is a wholesome, natural sleep aid as it contains tryptophan acid that later coverts into melatonin. This makes you drowsy and helps in regulating the body temperature and helping you fall asleep.
- Cross check your late night medications – It is found that many medications can actually interfere with your normal sleep pattern and cause sleeplessness. Some medicines containing caffeine, decongestant elements, beta blockers, etc. could disturb your sleep. It is best to consult your doctor and change such medicines.
- Yoga and exercise – If you are anxious and stressed, then doing meditation or yoga can help you sleep much better. You can try out Tai chi (stress buster) exercise. In a study conducted way back in 2004, it was found that doing Tai Chi could help you sleep faster and the quality of sleep could also be deeper.
- Bedtime ritual – Following a consistent bedtime ritual can help to achieve better sleep. Make it a compulsory habit to be in bed at a fixed time and also wake up at a fixed time every day. Trying small nightly indulgences such as listening to soothing music or half an hour reading can also relax the brain and prepare it for deep slumber. An interesting Taiwanese experiment on patients suffering from insomnia was conducted last year and it was found that music helped the patients fall asleep much faster than before.
- Improve the Feng Shui – Boosting your bedroom environment and designing it more like a sleep zone can actually help you sleep faster. Feng Shui tips like keeping the bedroom clutter free, having enough space around your bed, keeping the windows open and keeping minimum electronic gadgets within the bedroom space can help kick away insomnia.
- Lavender sachet – You can introduce aromatherapy to get sound and effective sleep. Scientific studies have shown that aromatherapy can trigger a relaxed state of mind, drowsy feeling, and a peaceful sleep. You can stash a small lavender sachet under your pillow or near you to inhale the wondrous aroma of lavender to drift into a deep slumber.
Such herbal and Ayurvedic medicines for insomnia can assist you to have a good night’s restful sleep without the aid of unhealthy and addictive tranquilizer medications. It is always better to get sleep naturally rather than taking allopathic tablets to cure insomnia. Ayurvedic and herbal medications do not have any side effects and offer long-term solutions for sleeplessness.