Natural And Herbal Remedies For Insomnia
A good night’s sleep is very important for general health and vitality of all living beings. Not getting enough sleep can lead to all kinds of horrible side effects such as premature aging, high blood pressure, heart attack, increase in stress hormones, poor mental focus, etc. Chronic sleep deprivation can even kill you.
Why is Quality Sleep Necessary?
Sleep is essential for everyone as it recharges the body and performs vital bodily healing. In fact, sleep is very important for the growth and repair of each and every body part in human beings. For proper functioning of the heart and brain, for flawless clear skin, for boosting the immune system; sleep plays a crucial role in maintaining good health.
Ayurveda, which is an ancient science, has provided mankind with many effective ayurvedic remedies for insomnia. It identifies the primary root cause of the underlying symptoms and offers treatment that gives long lasting solutions.
Let us study some of the best Ayurveda natural remedies for insomnia:
- Oil rub – One of the natural and simple ways to induce good sleep is rubbing semi-warm oil on the head and at the soles of your feet, just before going to bed. Best oils like brahmi oil, coconut oil, olive oil and sesame oil can give you desirable results.
- Drink milk – Drinking a glass of warm milk (flavoured or plain) before retiring at night can help you sleep better. Ayurvedic experts feel that adding some nutmeg, honey or cardamom can improve the sleep quality.
- Hot moist dinner – Eating a good warm and moist dinner with plenty of freshly cooked mushy foodstuff that are rich in proteins and spices can support correct digestion and maintain warmth in the body. Make sure you avoid eating too much raw veggies and ice old drinks at dinner time.
- Regular ritual – You should ideally set up a disciplined schedule for your bedtime. Getting ready to sleep at a fixed time everyday helps to regulate the body clock. After some days, you may notice that you automatically feel sleepy following the daily bedtime pattern.
- Positive thinking – If you want good sleep at night, try changing your thinking pattern and inducing positive affirmations like; ‘I sleep really well’ or ‘I am getting restful sleep at night’. These notes can trigger your subconscious mind thoughts and you may actually get good quality and restful sleep.
- Valerian root – This root has amazing stress-relieving elements. It can induce a relaxed state of mind and peaceful sleep. Drinking an herbal tea with valerian root components in it can really help induce deep slumber. You can get it in any reputed health store.
- Chamomile tea – This tea is considered one of the best traditional and natural remedy for treating insomnia. Chamomile tea is also a mild tranquilizer and caffeine free. It is rich in flavonoid and apigenin components, which activates the brain receptors for a good sleep.
Herbal Remedies for Insomnia
Apart from valerian root and chamomile tea, there are several herbs that are available in capsule, tablet or tincture form that you can take a few hours before going to bed. Some of the effective herbs are passionflower, California poppy, and lavender.
Before starting any ayurvedic or herbal medicinal therapy, it is best to consult an authentic herbalist or ayurvedic practitioner. Some herbs have great potency and therefore you should have proper knowledge about the dosage limitations before taking them orally.
More Natural Tips for Beating Insomnia
Some other natural sleep inducing remedies includes growing special herbs or sleep enhancer plants in your bedroom, avoiding night lamps in the bedroom, allowing fresh air through the windows, using superior organic bedding, meditating, taking a warm bath, drinking milk and honey, eliminating sugar from your evening food intake and avoiding caffeinated drinks.
Human beings cannot live without food, water, and good quality sleep. If you are suffering from insomnia, the above-mentioned suggestions can make a positive difference for achieving a dreamless heavy slumber at night.