Treating Diabetes with Ayurveda
Summary: Diabetes is a serious disease. Prevention is being better than cure is heavily emphasized because diabetes cannot be cured. It can be controlled, however. Ayurvedic treatment relies on the use of certain herbs and medicines but mainly it focuses on improving the diet and lifestyle.
Diabetes is a chorionic disorder in which the body is unable to respond properly to the hormone insulin, this results in abnormal metabolism of carbohydrates and subsequent increase in the blood sugar level. Unfortunately, diabetes has become a very common malady nowadays with millions of people suffering from it. You cannot just let it slide unless serious care is taken, this disease can be fatal.
Types of Diabetes
Diabetes is clinically classified into two categories that are Type 1 Diabetes and Type 2 Diabetes.
Type 1 Diabetes: It is also known as insulin-dependent or childhood onset or Juvenile Diabetes. In this type of diabetes, the body mistakenly attacks the insulin-producing beta cells of the pancreas. Nobody knows why the body does it and the scientific community at large does not know any way of preventing this from happening. With the insulin-producing cells damaged, the body is now incapable of producing the hormone that controls the blood sugar level. Consequently, the blood sugar level rises.
Daily administration of insulin becomes a necessity as the condition would be fatal if blood sugar level is left to rise unchecked.
Type 2 Diabetes: Type 2 Diabetes is also known as non-insulin dependent or adult-onset diabetes. However, it is now seen to occur in young people as well. In this type of diabetes the body is able to produce its own insulin, however, it is either not enough or the body fails to utilize it effectively.
The common causes of this type of diabetes are obesity and lack of physical exercise. While it can be managed by treatment focused on changing dietary and living habits, in some cases oral medications or even insulin injections become a necessity.
Symptoms of Diabetes
- The early symptoms of diabetes are an increase in blood sugar level and presence of high amount of glucose in urine. Due to a large amount of sugar in urine, urination becomes very frequent; as a result, the person suffers from dehydration.
- When diabetes is left unchecked, the person suffers from fatigue, nausea, and vomiting.
- Diabetes is accompanied by frequent fluctuations in the blood sugar level. This can result in blurred vision.
- Frequent infections can offer in the bladder and skin.
- In extreme conditions, diabetes can cause coma.
Ayurveda and Diabetes
Diabetes is called Prameha in Ayurveda. Ayurveda divides diabetes into twenty subcategories based on three types of doshas. Four divisions are under Vata, six under Pitta and ten under Kapha dosha. It is said that improper diet and a bad lifestyle coupled with stress and excessive seep are the primary cause of Prameha.
The Ayurvedic treatment for diabetes mainly focuses on healthy eating habits and a change in lifestyle for the best. Ayurvedic remedies for diabetes and medicines would help your body regain its original health. You can try them while keeping a strict watch on our blood sugar levels.
- Nothing works magic like fresh fruits and vegetables. Make sure that you include them in your diet. You should also take barley, oats, brown rice, flax seed, garlic, onion, and cinnamon solution.
- Coconut water is also recommended as it helps in improving the blood circulation. However, keep in mind that the white pulp of coconut is rich in sugar and fat, hence it should be avoided.
- It would do you good to never skip any meals. Try to include lots of fresh salad in your lunch and dinner. Sprouted horse gram and black peppers are recommended.
- Take fish oil. It is rich in omega 3 fatty acids which would improve your body’s insulin sensitivity.
List of Diabetes Herbs
Using diabetes herbs and medicines would help you bring diabetes under control so that you can live a happy and healthy life.